Sunday, November 3, 2013

picture perfect:.

how do you define the perfect picture? what you see on TV or in magazines? Facebook? Instagram?  in a world that is getting smaller and smaller thanks to technology and social media, its easy to lose perspective on what is in front of us. through social media, its easy for people to portray their life in a rose-colored lens making the rest of us feel like we should be keeping up - i know i am not the only one who struggles with this.

cleaning is often my time to decompress, to think and reflect. today, while i was cleaning, i reflected on the purpose behind all the things that i do. this week i stressed myself over money (like i frequently do). i had to get a new battery for my car which wasn't part of my 'planned' budget. this planned budget is extremely strict - i plan my budget about 5 paychecks ahead of time (yes, i do already have christmas spending marked in my datebook). i plan my budget with maybe $30 in my checkings to play with the day before payday. when this relatively inexpensive necessity came up, i was stressed, extremely annoyed and almost disappointed in myself when i had to move some money from my savings into my checkings to get me until friday (payday). drew, who is mr. finance (thank god!), often reminds me of the different, positive financial things that i have. that a savings is a safety net for emergencies, like a new car battery, and i am lucky to have one versus relying on a credit card for emergencies.

without divulging too much on my financial situation and frankly, boring you, i'll share a couple quotes with you that help me keep perspective.

if we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.

to walk in a place of contentment, there are 2 things you have to do:.
1. focus on the good aspects of what you already have
2. stop thinking about what you don't have

why do i care if my house is clean? why do i care if i get my butt out of bed for 6 am yoga? why do i care if i have a savings and that it grows each month? to be honest, i'm not sure. i know that i have big plans to travel, buy a house and have financial security for myself and family. i know that my health is important to me and working out keeps me sane. i know that i enjoy cooking and take pride in providing healthy, yet tasty meals for drew and i. i know that i am much more relaxed in a clean house. i also know that i add a lot of stress in my life trying to create the 'perfect picture'.

with this, i challenge you (and myself) - create your OWN perfect picture - don't let anyone or anything else, especially Facebook or Instagram, define it for you because in reality, you can't filter life.

always striving for more,
dee b.

No comments:

Post a Comment